2018-19 Performance Report
Grades served in 2018-19
Opened in 1960. Modernization took place in 1980 and 1995.
- Students and staff created the Viking Way.
- Staff created their Shared Beliefs and their Practices for Excellence, what we believe about our students and what we do in service of our beliefs in order to support all students.
- Implemented the “house” model where teachers shared the same students to build strong relationships.
- Saw growth in our ELA Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA) for 7th and 8th grade. Our 7th-grade students increased from 51 percent to 59 percent, and our 8th grade students increased from 56 percent to 62 percent.
- Saw SBA growth for 8th-grade students classified as English learners, from 16 percent to 29 percent proficiency.
- 57.5 percent of students classified as long-term English Learners made 1 or more years of vocabulary growth this year as measured by the iReady assessment. 31.2 percent had two or more years of growth.
- Eliminated disproportionalities from previous years in the number of disciplinary referrals received for Hispanic students.
- Created an attendance team and implemented positive incentives for attendance including the first No Tardy Party, class competitions for attendance, and recognition in assemblies.
- Held monthly student-led assemblies where we celebrated students of the month, student growth and recognized attendance and growth in attendance.
- Integrated Standards Based Instruction and Standards Based Grading building wide.
- Created an inclusion model for all students.
- Had an Ignite mentor program, 7th and 8th grade AVID classes, AVID Strategies building wide (Viking Binder, planner and Cornell Notes) and AVID Excel for 7th grade.
- Hosted a 7th-grade Jump Start in August for all incoming 7th-grade students. They participated in two half days at Pacific Middle School where they engaged in team building activities and learned about Pacific in order to ensure a smooth transition from elementary to middle school.
- Restorative practices and PBIS to support students and families.
- Hosted a well attended Multicultural night.
- Our after-school programming included homework help and clubs. This year we created a strong Pacific Islanders Club.
- Well attended Student Led Conferences in both fall and spring. We had over 92 percent of students completing their SLC and participated in Fun Day in recognition of their hard work.
- Hosted parent nights for Standards Based Grading and 6th- and 7th-grade transition to middle school. Our Ignite Mentors led visits during the school day for students who would be new to Pacific next year.
- Pacific students visited Washington DC and New York.
- Had zero-hour Jazz Band.
- Wind ensemble competed in the Anaheim Heritage Festival and received a Gold level award for their performance.
- Future City team won first place in the Regional competition and competed in Nationals in Washington DC.
- Transition to a 6th, 7th and 8th grade school.
- Continue strong culture and climate in “living” the Viking Way.
- Add AVID Excel class in order to have AVID Excel 7 and AVID Excel 8. Also, add AVID strategies building wide for all students.
- Add World Language for all 6th-grade students.
- Add a Spanish 7 elective class.
- Increase Arts electives with 1 section of choir to 2 and add a Media Literacy elective.
- Reduce number of discipline referrals and out-of-school suspensions overall.
- Eliminate disproportionalities in the number of African American students receiving referrals.
- Continue work around improving attendance in December/January and March/April.
- Continue intentional professional development around supporting English Learners.
At Highline Public Schools, one of our four pillars in the district's strategic plan is parent and family engagement. In order to reach our strategic plan goals we will form partnerships with parents and families. Families and community members are encouraged to participate in school activities and in educating students in school, at home and in the community.
Source: Actual 2018-19 expenditures as of August 2019.